Thursday, October 24, 2013

True story...Five for Friday 10.25.13

Aloha Blogger friends,

Somehow Fridays are always crazy, so I am doing this on a Thursday night. The crazy thing is that I am still in my classroom at 8:00pm because my son is at a middle school dance and we live too far away for me to drive back and forth. After school I had a meeting for two hours about report cards which fell right into a Boy Scout meeting of which I am the Scoutmaster (another story). My desk (and the floor surrounding it) are soooo messy that I think I could be swallowed by it all. My room feels like it is half of what we were working on (Australia) and then a bunch of insect, arachnid and Halloween stuff! This time of year seems to get busier and busier.

Here is my 5 for Friday for the week...

fiveforfriday2_thumb[3]

(Drum roll...listed in no particular order)



Divider-1_thumb13

We have learned so much about insects for the past two weeks. I love how much our morning messages are helping with that. They were first inspired by Deanna Jumps chit chat messages. I love the handful that she has on her blog that are focused on science topics, so I have made one for every day of my classroom. This one was about bees. Did you know that they have 5 eyes??


Divider-2_thumb4






After getting this idea from a Frog Street SPLASH Conference a few years ago, I am loving keeping a class science notebook...right along side of my students notebooks. I am adding our learning as well as pictures taken while we are doing the experiments...lab coats and glasses help! I love these books and they come from Resources for Reading.
Divider-3_thumb4


 
Oh yes, it was my birthday this week! I am so grateful and thankful for all of my friends and family who each did something to make my birthday super special. This plant was from one of my students. I also received 1 million Starbuck's gift cards...not really!
 
 

Divider-4_thumb5

 
Every year I take my students to my house to collect insects. We have a big pond and plowed fields that allow us to use nets in the grass, dig in the dirt and search in the pond. If we are lucky we may find a dragonfly nymph in there. This book Eddie's Backyard Bugs is a super fun book that combines fiction with non-fiction. I read them this book and then give them their entomologist kits. We use the paper straws to drink like a bug...only the best bug juice (sparkling cider).

 
Divider-5_thumb5


 
I l.o.v.e Halloween...need I say more!
 
Happy Friday,

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment